Now as you all know the Civil War was a time of great innovation. Much progress was made in the medical and military fields. One of the more interesting stories of progress came during the battle of Fredericksburg. The thing I am talking about is the first amphibious landing of troops under fire. The Federal troops were ordered to board one of the pontoon bridges, cross the Rappahannock and snuff out the fire from William Barksdales Mississippi sharpshooters. It took much effort and the loss of many men, but the Federals made it over, landed on the river bank. Once their feet hit the ground they had made history. Not only had they taken part in a significant battle in the Civil War they had also made military history by being the first troops to make an amphibious landing under enemy fire.
Hey people! I don’t have the time to type out a post original to me but this is a great post on how the war was effected by certain individuals. Check it out.
Hey people. This web server is weird and won’t let me view any of your comments so you can email them to me at email@example.com. You may continue to comment on the website but please don’t put advertisments thanks
I was inspired by the last quiz I posted to create my own so here it goes. Post what you think the answers are as a comment and I will check and see that they are correct. Enjoy!
1. Jefferson Davis was born June 3, 1808, in Fairview Kentucky. President Lincoln was also born in Kentucky. How far apart in miles and months were Davis and Lincoln born?
2. What was the name of Stonewall Jackson’s younger sister?
3. Who said “Texas has made me a rebel twice” ?
4. Who was the aid that accompanied General Lee to the McLean house to surrender?
5. Can you name the four main conspirators in the Lincoln assassination
6. What battle did Grant regret making the last charge in?
7. Who was in command of the Confederate Army at the battle Chickamauga?
8. Who was the “Angel of Fredricksburg” and what was this person’s significance?
9. Why was “Fighting Joe” Hooker given this nickname?
10. Bonus Question. Where was George McClellan born?
Have a great Memorial Day! Don’t forget to thank the veterans for protecting and serving you!
I have just completed the book Post Reader of Civil War Stories. It was a very good book. It was written in 1958 and has a collection of fictional stories about the Civil War that were published in news papers from the years 1932-58. Some of the stories were fairly confusing at times but it still was a very good book and I would recommend it to any one.
I really enjoy posting on this blog and was wondering what some of your suggestions would be as to what topic I should discuss next. So go ahead and leave a comment and tell me what you think
this doesn’t really have anything to do with the civil war or american history but it is a rather interesting article so here is.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! I hope you all have an awesome one. May God bless you in this new year
Merry Chrismtas to every one! I hope you have an awesome christmas and I hope you remeber the reason for the season the birth of christ. Matthew 1:18-2:23